Fire at NYU Langone Stopped Without Injuries

A fire broke out at NYU’s Langone Medical Center but was quickly brought into control within an hour of the fire starting. Twenty five fire trucks were on the scene where the fire broke out who immediately set to work on putting out the fire. The fire started on the fifth floor at 560 First Avenue which is located near 30th street on the east side of Manhattan.

 

The fire broke out around noon and was extinguished by 1 pm though billowing black smoke continued to appear in the skyline. The building is a hospital that is currently under construction and does not have any patients. Images of the fire were particularly striking but ultimately only one person was injured in the fire and he did not require hospitalization as a result of the injury which was not considered to be serious.

 

A statement by Joe Lhota, who is chief of staff at the hospital indicated that there were no evacuations of the nearby hospital as a result of the fire. However, some patients were relocated within a nearby facility as a result of smoke that impacted their rooms. Construction workers in the building that caught on fire wre immediately evacuated from the fire. A statement by Daniel Nigro, the Fire Commissioner of the FDNY indicated that only a small amount of smoke ultimately entered the hospital and this was quickly and efficiently handled by the building’s ventilation system.

 

The building where the fire broke out is scheduled to open in 2018 and this fire is not expected to cause any delays in the opening of the facility. The building, when opened, will be known as the Kimmel Pavillion. The lack of significant injuries were linked to training and practice that the construction workers received before the fire which helped them to be prepared for such an event.

 

The cause of the fire is not completely known but it is thought to be related to the ongoing construction in the building specifically relating to some roofing material that caught on fire. A possible cause of the fire was a significant amount of welding that was taking place in the building which commonly has a significant amount of sparks included in the process which can lead to a fire.